POSITION: DIRECTOR OF EDUCATION
POSITION SUMMARY: The Children’s Museum of Oswego (CMOO) is seeking a motivated individual to be our new Director of Education. The Director of Education is an integral staff member, in charge of managing our rapidly expanding programming and outreach. CMOO is dedicated to providing hands-on exhibits and experiential learning opportunities that spark imagination, foster curiosity and promote self-confidence for children ages 0-12.
• Design, coordinate and execute all educational programs based on museum’s permanent exhibits, visiting exhibits and interdisciplinary themes for developmentally appropriate child audiences
• Facilitate and initiate interactions with children and adults to deepen their learning experiences during exhibit play and through the facilitation of programs
• Develop and implement program budgets
• Develop and maintain collaborations with CMOO’s strategic partners, including but not limited to local school districts, SUNY Oswego, businesses and non-profit organizations
• Attend community events as a representative of CMOO
• Write grants and makes sponsorship asks for programming
• Demonstrate a thorough understanding of CMOO’s mission, philosophy, policies and procedures
• Provide excellent customer service including providing information to visitors, assisting visitors during incidents
• Participate in staff meetings and trainings
• Cultivate and mentor volunteers
• Develop strategies for education related program publicity and marketing
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in Education, Early Childhood Development, Museum Studies or similar
• Enjoys working with children, experience working with children a must
• Demonstrated organization and time management skills, emotional intelligence, problem solving, and working in a collaborative team
• Knowledge of best practices in museum education for children and families
• Ability to lead other individuals and assign tasks, oversee projects. Experience managing a small team while maintaining a positive culture a must.
• Strong communication skills including customer service and public relations, public speaking, and the desire to cultivate important relationships with members
SCHEDULE & COMPENSATION
Full-time position (40 hours per week). Flexibility in schedule, must be available weekends, hours may vary. Position to begin February 2019.
Interested applicants: Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 14, 2019.